How to connect securely to the NitroSell FTP server

In the interest of security, traditional plaintext FTP sessions are not possible when connecting to the NitroSell FTP service. Instead, the NitroSell FTP service employs encryption using TLS/SSL. Encryption is a way of securing all data while it is being transferred. There are several different types of FTP encryption, however the NitroSell FTP service supports FTP/ES or explicit encyption only.

Most modern FTP clients support encrypted connections, older clients do not. NitroSell recommends the free FTP client FileZilla which can be download safely from here: https://portal.nitrosell.com/downloads/software/ftp

Client Setup

Open your FTP client (we will assume you are using FileZilla for these examples) and navigate to the Host input box. It may be populated with your old hostname (ftp.nitrosell.com), but you must change it to: ftpes://ftp.nitrosell.com

There is no need to enter a port number, this will be assigned automatically by the client. Click the Quickconnect button as usual. A certificate will display:

Check the box at the bottom ‘Always trust certificate in future sessions.’ and click OK.

You are now set up always connect securely to NitroSell FTP.

Hi Conor,
I’ve followed these instructions and am using Filezilla 3.9.0.6.
I get a password error but am using the same password as was issued to me in 2012 - I’ve not changed it (don’t know how!) . Any ideas?

Status: Connection established, waiting for welcome message…
Response: 220 FTP server ready.
Command: AUTH TLS
Response: 234 AUTH TLS OK.
Command: USER ws003038
Response: 331 User ws003038 seems golden mate! But a password is required…
Command: PASS *********
Error: Connection timed out
Error: Could not connect to server

Hi Emma,

If you were using the same credentials since 2012 then you were likely using the old FTP credentials. I have reset and emailed you your new FTP/ES user and password

Regards,
Conor.

Hi Conor,

Thats sorted it, thanks a lot.
Emma

I am unable to connect via Dreamweaver. I connected successfully via FileZilla. Is there any Dreamweaver-specific options I need to set?

Hi,

Since Dreamweaver is a front-end, all you to ensure would be the support for ftp over a secure channel. Looking at the logs in Dreamweaver might be the best starting point.

Let us know your thoughts please.
Franclin