Improvements to predictive search

Just wanted to say thanks publicly to the NitroSell team for the improvements to predictive search lately on the Early Adopters branch. The enter key functionality makes a huge difference for our employees (and customers, one would assume!) and the speed keeps improving all the time. Very much appreciated!

It bubbled up from our implementation team last week, and wasn’t to difficult to address. We’re glad you like it, and thanks for the feedback Tyler!

Hi,

This sounds really interesting. How do we turn it on?

Thanks,
Emma

Hi Emma,

As your find panel was edited slightly it did not take on board the update. I have updated the find panel on your demostore, so you can take a look at the find panel and its new functionality there. If you wish to proceed it is a relatively simple to do the same on on your live store.

Regards,
Joe

1 Like

Hi,

This is truly great functionality - our sales team are so excited about getting this (even had a scream of excitement when I showed them!). Thank you.

A couple of questions - can we lose the "Product: " and "Description: " titles in the speech bubble bit - not necessary and sometimes wrong if its not in fact a product. I can’t find it in the language strings?

How do we get the speech bubble to take on the default font styling of the rest of the site?

Thanks,

Emma

Hi Emma,

Those “speech bubbles” which pop up are part of the default functionality of the predictive search and so would require some customization work - I would advise to open a ticket with our support team to investigate 1) how to switch this on for you and 2) how to get the requested customization.

Regards,
Joe

Super excited about the enter functionality–something we asked for last year when implementing our website and we are psyched to see!! … BUT the search function itself is different if you press enter or if you use the old (still existing) method of selecting the pop-up option “Search store for X.” It seems hitting enter significantly limits the results—it does not produce results with variations on the search term. Hitting enter only searches for the exact word in an item name, nowhere else.

To illustrate:

If I type in the word “skirt” and hit enter, I will only get results that have that exact word in the item name (RMS “description” field)

If I type in the word “skirt” and click “Search store for skirt,” I will get results that include all of the following:

• items that have the exact word “skirt” in the description (same as the results you get if you hit enter) [ex: Polka Dot Skirt]
  • items that have “skirt” OR variations thereof in the description OR matrix name [ex: if the item name is abbreviated to Polka Dot Skrt Pnk but the matrix name is Polka Dot Skirt Pink, or the item is something like Skirted Stripe Dress]
  • items that have “skirt” in the extended description/details [ex: item name Stripe Dress with an extended description that says something like “fitted bodice with flared skirt”]
  • items that have “skirt” in the image file name [ex: item name Flared Pink Dress with image file name flared-skirt-pink-dress]

It’s very important that the search rules are changed so hitting enter provides shoppers with ALL results!

Thank you so much for the enter key capability!!!

Glad you like it, and sorry it took so long!

We have just amended it so it behaves the same way. You may need to “hard refresh” your store in your browser to see the new functionality (or the clear the browser’s cache if you want to go brute force!).

Thanks for the feedback!

Looks like it’s working. Thank you!!!

That improved enter key functionality is awesome! Great job NitroSell!

Hi,

Can I just double check something - do you still send the search term to google analytics if they choose off the drop down rather than pressing ?

Thanks,
Emma

Hi Emma,

As far as I know, those search terms in Analytics are the ones originating from search engines, not from the site search.

I can double check.

Regards,
Donogh

Hi Donogh,

Sorry I’ve unwittingly confused you in the terminology I used - you’re thinking of “Search Terms” which is what people type into google etc, whereas what I meant was “Site Search” which is what they type into OUR search box. This is a set of reports under the Behaviour section in GA called Site search which tells me what people type into our search box and whether they go on to convert, how many pages they visit etc etc.

Its one of the most insightful reports there is - we have found out what people THINK we sell, what weird and wonderful names people call things and also common spelling mistakes of keywords. Its incredibly useful and so I was just hoping you still submit the information when they click in the dropdown rather than press enter?

Emma

Hi Emma,

I dug into this a little more. We definitely don’t knowingly post anything to Analytics. My understanding is it’s automatic.

If you find an issue with it, let us know, and we’ll review.

Donogh