Paypal Express Checkout

Paypal in on my case to change the “checkout button” on the site for paypal. Do you know anything about this? Text of their email:

"Here is an article on why it is switching… What is PayPal Express Checkout - AngellEYE
Right now the PayPal Button on your site needs an update. Currently the steps take longer for the PayPal users. If you make the switch to the Express Checkout button, this reduces the checkout to 1-2 clicks instead of 5-6, and will increase your customer satisfaction. Our integration team can help you switch the button or you can follow the instructions below. You can call me or have your programmer call me and I can get your team and our team working together to update your PayPal button.

https://developer.paypal.com/docs/classic/express-checkout/in-context/integration/

There is an added bit of code that will make the PayPal payment just popup instead of redirect
Express Checkout lets you accept PayPal payments directly on your website and keeps your buyers there after they pay. We host the Express Checkout button and logo images that you use on your website.
Here’s how to add an Express Checkout button to your website:

Go to the PayPal Developer Network at http://developer.paypal.com.
Click Documentation.
Under “Classic API” click Integration Guides.
Click Express Checkout."

Hi Molly,

We don’t currently support Express Checkout. It seems they haven’t taken the time to actually review your store because our checkout all happens on one page: if you have an account, you can complete an order by logging in, entering your payment details and clicking one button.

If our PayPal Standard integration is turned on, it adds one extra step to complete the transaction with PayPal, and I wouldn’t say your shoppers would save any time with Express Checkout.

Also, the counter argument is that it breaks the user experience and familiarity of your checkout: shoppers get redirected completely away from your site and you lose the opportunity to further promote your brand on that step.

Regards,
Donogh

He is also implying that it is a REQUIRED change…

I can assure you, Molly, that that is definitely not true

Thanks. I think I will ignore the rest of his emails.

Hi Donogh,

One thing to consider is that the Paypal Express option uses the address details stored within the customers Paypal account. If you deliver to this address the transaction is automatically covered against fraud providing you can provide proof of delivery if requested.

As much as the current system works reasonably well it does still lack the seller protection offered by the express payment option. We were duped of $900 recently as address details are not supplied to Paypal.

Here’s what’s on the Paypal payment confirmation.

You received a payment
of $58.22 AUD from xxxxxx
Seller Protection – Not Eligible

Anyhow, I’m not having a dig as like I say the Paypal option has been very robust. it’s just a small downfall of the current method but obviously there are the pros you had mentioned earlier.

cheers.
Andy.

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the feedback. My understanding was that we always passed this info, but I’ll defer to @franclin on it because he’s far more familiar with the integration than I am. Franclin, would you mind investigating this, please?

Thanks,
Donogh

Is express checkout offered yet?

We will shortly be offering PayPal Express Checkout with our new Heartland Payments Secure Submit integration. If you were willing to switch to Heartland for payment processing, you would be able to avail of it within the next month or two.

Failing that, standalone PayPal Express Checkout is still on the roadmap, though we do not have a delivery date against it.

When set up with Paypal we were also advised that Paypal Express would be the safest option with respect to offering seller protection. I am in Canada and don’t think that payment option that was mentioned is available here, but I would also very much like to have a stand-alone Paypal Express option at some point soon to protect ourselves from potential fraud as much as possible. Maybe if a number of customers are interested such a customization could be divided up by enough people to make it affordable. When I first came abord I paid for the customization to offer Interac Online payments. Knowing what I know now and seeing how little my customers use it to check out I would not do so any more, but Paypal is of course used a lot more often.

Regards,
Sieghard

Sieghard,

I’d start a forum article about it and see if there’s any interest.

Mike

Hi All,

Having investigated this issue, I can confirm that we are definitely sending all the necessary fields in our Paypal Standard integration.

In order to be eligible for the Seller Protection, you need to manually enter the tracking information of the package in the Paypal order history. You can also print the shipping label there.

In your transaction history, if you click on any transaction, you will see that there is a section called Shipping where you should enter the relevant as shown in the attached screenshot.

The bad news is that there is currently no way to do so when you have processed the order at the Point of Sales, and this means manually entering the data in Paypal is required at this time.

Hope this helps.

Happy Easter.

Regards,
Franclin

So is it just not possible to pass that information over? I’ve started using PayPal as our shipping label creation method as it’s quick and easy and cheaper than other options. Getting the address information passed over would help us expedite the process.

It also appears that they are changing their shipping label creation so that the address information HAS to be attached to the transaction to get a label. I see no timeline as to that happening but we would be disappointed to lose this option for our websales.

Hi @brian.keesbury

As far as our Paypal standard integration is concerned, we are already passing all the information that we are allowed to. Having talked to Paypal last week, it looked like all we have to do was to get retailers to provide the tracking information for each transaction to avail of the Seller Protection.

As I said before, Paypal doesn’t provide any mechanism to automically upload the tracking number and relevant shipping address information for each transaction and as of now, this has to be done manually I’m afraid.

I will contact Paypal again to relay your claim that providing the tracking number doesn’t seem to be enough to be eligible for the Seller Protection and as soon as I have more insight I will let you know.

Finally, I should also mention that we are talking here about Paypal standard, it’s possible that with Paypal Express Checkout (which we will provide with our upcoming Heartland Integration) the situation is totally different. We will confirm that as well so watch out this space for more updates.

Kindest regards,
Franclin

Hi @brian.keesbury

Having spoken to Paypal again, there is nothing else that we need to add to get the Seller Protection.

All you have to do is to provide the tracking number as previously explained and ensure that the payment chosen by the customer was for goods or service.

Also, if the transaction is worth over to $750, you will need a delivery signature.

Since these steps are clearly to be done by the retailer, I would suggest that you contact Paypal directly with the details about any payment that you think should be seller protected.

Once this helps.

Regards,
Franclin

So are you just not allowed to pass the shipping information with the transaction record?

I’ve been creating the label inside PayPal so they have the tracking number available. I have to manually enter the shipping address for every transaction manually on the print label screen so I would assume it isn’t passing that information over.

Hi Brian,

as mentioned, Paypal doesn’t provide any mechanism to automatically upload the tracking number and relevant shipping address information.

I’m afraid that if there’s a need to get more information about why the transaction isn’t covered, you’d have to call PayPal directly.

Let us know in case of other inquiries.

Kind regards,
Alina

Hello,

Is there any update on PayPal Express checkout? Also any roadmap to Amazon and Apple Pay?

Thanks,
Zac

Hey Zac,

We currently support PayPal Express for users of our Heartland Payments Systems Secure Submit integration. We would be happy to put you in touch with a Heartland rep if you would like to learn more. Their rates are very competitive and it is a technically superior payment gateway. We also plan to add Apple Pay to our Heartland integration in the future.

Regarding Apple Pay in general, it doesn’t actually process payments itself – it piggybacks on payment gateways that support it. Currently, we only have plans to add it to our Heartland integration.

We do not have any plans to support Amazon Payments at present, though we may consider it further down the line.

Regards,
Donogh

Donogh,

Thanks for the fast reply. Yes I would be interested in getting in touch with a rep.

Thanks,
Zac